Saturday, May 30, 2009

Renovations and Meeting the Neighbors

So we are down in Cedar Ridge near Sonora doing some renovations on Kyle's cabin in the mountains. I always love it here because there are no neighbors, completely quiet and peaceful and just off of Rte 108 where there is so much to do and is so pretty.

We have completely gutted the bathroom and kitchen, just the first of a long list of jobs to do on this house before we rent it out.

The other weekend I was driving down to the Bay Area to meet "the girls" for Bay to Breakers. Unfortunately I never made it because I got a flat tire a few miles from my house. So there I am on the side of the road changing my own tire, when pick-up after pick-up truck full of men drive by and no one stops. Not that I can't change a tire myself, I can and I did, but you would think someone would have stopped, I even had a skirt on, obviously it wasn't short enough.

Well, just as I was finishing the tire change, an older gentleman did stop to see if he could help. Turns out he lives just up the road and though their farm is for sale (anyone want to buy 5 acres in the Sierra Foothills covered in fruit trees?) he has some gorgeous fruit trees and a blooming blueberry patch. Kyle and I went over this last Monday and checked it out and learned all about growing your own blueberries and all that goes along with it.

This got us thinking. We have all this land and have wanted to make the property pay for itself. We have looked into a lot of different things, lavender, vegetable garden etc... but blueberries are VERY intriguing, not to mention lucrative. Now we are pursuing more research and see where it takes us...who knows, maybe we will end up being blueberry farmers.

No comments:

Post a Comment